The XVI Glaciological Symposium will be held in the city of St. Petersburg from May 24 to 29, 2016 with the theme “Past, present, and future of the Earth cryosphere”. The Glaciological Association, Institute of Geography of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute are organizing the meeting.
- Recent climate and glacier changes
- Polar glaciers and global sea level
- Regime of alpine glaciers in temperate and tropical zones
- Snow cover and ground ice in a warming climate
- Avalanches and river ice as the cryosphere phenomena
- Sea ice changes: causes and consequences
- Proxy paleoclimate reconstructions and history of glacier changes
- Remote sensing and GIS in glaciology
The Symposium will cover a wide range of cryospheric topics. It is expected that for the most part, presentations will describe results of recent investigations devoted to the main key issues of present-day glaciology. Each oral presentation will be allowed 20 minutes, including discussion. Poster sessions and discussion will also be scheduled. Working languages are Russian and English (no simultaneous translation will be provided).
Reports presented at the Symposium will be published after reviewing as individual papers in the peer-reviewed Journal “ICE and SNOW”. Texts of the reports prepared according to the Journal rules should be sent for publication before April 15, 2016 via electronic mail to O.V. Rototaeva (email@example.com). Acceptable manuscripts should be between 10 and 15 pages in length (Times New Roman font, 12 pt, 1.5 line spacing) including tables and illustrations (not more than six, with minimum 300 dpi resolution as tiff or jpg electronic files).
All oral presentations are to be done using PC-based Power Point or similar formats. Preliminary Symposium Program will be available on the Symposium website on or about March 15, 2016.
According to the Program, participants should plan to arrive in St. Petersburg no later than Monday, May 23. The program will include 4 days of scientific sessions and two days for excursions in the city and its suburbs. An evening reception will be organized on one of the days, its cost together with prices of the excursions will be announced later on the symposium website. Participants can preregister for the meeting on the Symposium website. All necessary information about hotels, transportation, and payments will be found there.
The individual registration fee for participation in the Symposium will be 2000 rubles. This fee includes coffeebreaks, a folder with abstracts and other information. A one-year subscription to the journal “Ice and Snow”, in which the Symposium materials will be published will be offered during the Symposium on reduced price.
All potential participants (including non-presenters) are invited to register online before March 1, 2016. The following information is necessary.
- Personal information (name, surname, position and organization, contact information, e-mail address). We ask that you indicate in the field “Comments” the title of your report (if presenting) and information about the format (oral or poster);
- Lodging: please provide dates of arrival and departure. Choice of preferred hotels
and booking should be made independently (the simplest way via site
- Abstract (if you are presenting a poster or oral paper);
- Your anticipated participation in excursions.
For entering Russia you need a visa. For preparing an official invitation please complete the visa form and with s can copy of the first page of your passport send us 2 month before your arrival.
Hotel in St. Petersburg is booking in your own.